- This event has passed.
PCSBV Volunteer Training – Effective Listening
April 1 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Click HERE to register
Date: April 1, 2023
Time: 9:00am – 12:00pm
Facilitator: Dr. Tiffany Kriz – PhD of Organizational Behavior – Professor of Organizational Behavior, Human Resources Management and Management at MacEwan University.
1. Understand the importance of communication, different means to communicate with clients, families and team members, and the barriers to communication
2. What is listening, how does listening work, develop active listening skills
3. Appreciate the value and uses of silence
4. Reflect on own communication style and strategies to improve communication
5. Practice identifying reflective listening statements, and avoiding listening barriers
At the end of this module, volunteers will be able to:
• Define the basic principles and purposes of communication in hospice palliative care
• Describe and practice different means of communicating with clients and families, including listening and empathy, silence and being present, and humour and laughter (when appropriate)
• Communicate effectively with other members of the care team
• Identify effective communication strategies to support clients and families, and to cope with difficult situations
For more information, please contact the Palliative Care Society of the Bow Valley via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 403 707 7111.
We appreciate you sharing your time and talent with PCSBV!